Saturday, September 16, 2017

Welcome to my blog!

I want to share some of my work with others and thought a blog would be a great place to start. I am new to this so please be patient as I learn the ropes. I don't know if anyone will read this, but I thought I would share some of the techniques and progress of my quilts as I work on them. I usually spend 4-6 hours a day quilting. I have a wonderful new studio that is my perfect place to create. My goal is to add a post every week detailing what I am working on. I will attempt to keep things organized by posting under the page titles for the different genre's as I create.




 I don't limit myself to any one type of quilt, although I do not consider myself a traditionalist. I did make one Dear Jane quilt. Here's how  that happened. We were in the process of moving and I had to convert the 3 bedrooms I was using as a quilting studio back into bedrooms. That meant all of my quilting stuff was going to be boxed up and I would be without it for at least 6 months. I decided to keep one sewing machine available and I joined a 24 month Block of the Month program for a traditional Dear Jane quilt. I don't particularly like Civil War fabric, but decided if I was going to do a Dear Jane quilt, it was going to be authentic to the original. I should also mention that I do not care for Block of the Month programs because I like to get quilts done in a more timely manner so waiting for each month drives me crazy. Well my blocks starting arriving and I was very diligent  for the first 3 months. Then I just started finding excuses for not working on the quilt. I really did not enjoy all of the piecing. I stopped working on it once my new studio was finished and we had moved into our new house. In January 2017, I decided I was going to finish it so I made myself work on it every afternoon until it was done. I took another month to finish the last 10 rows and the triangles on the outside It took me about a week to do the quilting. I am calling it Never Again - My Dear Jane!




I will admit I took a break in the middle of Dear Jane to make a good friend of mine a quilt for her birthday. We had just reconnected after not seeing each other for almost 40 years. She has created a quilt barn trail in Fulton Montgomery counties in upstate New York and I found this McKenna Ryan pattern that fit her perfectly. She and her husband also own a sheep farm and there's sheep in the quilt along with barn quilts on the barns!


No comments:

Post a Comment